Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Characters of Fahrenheit 451.


Characters in Fahrenheit 451 are very odd and interesting, I must say! The first character I will introduce to you is...... Montag!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Hahaha.) Montag is a protagonist in the story. He is a firemen who is very curious about the past world (the story is set in the future.) His curiosity draws him into the conflicts in the story. His job is to put a house on fire, where it is stored with books since books aren't allowed at this time anymore. However, as he becomes friends with a seventeen year old girl, he gets curious with the books. He tries to find meanings in literature. It's interesting that firemen in the book have to actually lit houses on fire, rather than preventing them. I thought the author was smart in the use of his ideas. Montag gets really confused and frustrated in the book, but I can agree that I will feel that way if I were him too.

Clarisse is a protagonist in the story also. She is a weird girl, who loves talking, especially about life, literature, nature, and etc, while others in the world don't. She talks to Montag, and draws curiosity to Montag. I guess she would be considered normal in our world, since it's not like people don't have emotions in this world.

Mildred is Montag's wife. She is just as strange as the others in the story's world. She has no emotions, knowledge about the past, and she doesn't read. She becomes an antagonist in the book. She is a tv addict. I don't understand why Montag would marry her. He says he's in love, but I don't think he really was. She is a very sad person, because she commits suicide.

Beatty is the antagonist in the book. Beatty is a firemen also. He gives a speech about the history of the firemen. He says books are weapons, and it brings unhappiness. I think the character was complicated in a way. I thought he was a sad character also because he didn't want to face any sadness in the world. I thought he was selfish also. He can read well but he doesn't let others read. He uses robotic dogs to search for Montag, when Montag gets into trouble. I really did not like Beatty in the book. He seems so stupid because he thinks books are bad!

Professor Faber is the protagonist in the book. He used to be an English professor. He feels bad that he would not speak out to the world that the cause of the stupidness in the world is because books are banned. He really loves books, and he also influences Montag to be interested in literature. He helps out Montag. I think I would feel the same way as Professor Faber. I would be too afraid to speak out because it would be dangerous for me. I can possibly die!

No comments: